Tres Leches is a type of desert that is made from three different types of milk. These types of milk are evaporated milk, condensed milk, and cream. Some say that this dish originates in Nicaragua while other say that it hails from Mexico. It is however no doubt that Tres Leches are very popular in Nicaragua. Tres leches taste a little like caramel and is sold all over Central America. It is slowly spreading across the united states.
Food using evaporated and condensed milk is a relatively new addition to Latin American cuisine. The milk did not become available until the 1850s. This have however not prevented the from becoming an important part of the cuisine. The warm climate made it hard to store fresh milk. This allowed evaporated and condensed milk to become very popular very quickly. Most households in Nicaragua lacks a fridge.
Tres Leches Ingredients
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 9 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 cups full fat whipping cream
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (or coconut milk)
Making Tres Leches
- Start by leaving the butter out in room temperature for an hour to soften it.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a baking dish.
- Flour the greased dish.
- Mix the cream, butter and sugar until you get an airy mix.
- Crack the eggs. But the whites in one container and the yellows in another. You need both.
- Add the egg yolkes to the mixture if cream, butter and sugar. Ad one at a time and mix before you add the next.
- Add the vanilla and mix it in.
- Mix flour and baking soda in another bowl.
- Add milk to the flour mix. Stir well.
- Place the egg whites in a metallic (or glass) bowl and mix them with the vinegar. Continue whisking until you get a fluffy white paste.
- Take out a rubber spatula. Use the spatula to fold the egg white fluff into the butter batter. Fold carefully.
- Spread the batter over the dish. (evenly distributed)
- Place in the pre-heated oven.
- Keep an eye on the cake. It is done when you can stick a tooth pick in it and the tooth pick comes out dry. This usually takes about 25-30 minutes. The exact time depends on the thickness och the cake. Always stick the tooth pike in the center.
- Let it cool
- Stir 2 cups cream with evaporated and sweetened condensed milk
- Take the milk, cream mix and pour over the cake. Keep pouring until it is drenched and can’t absorb any more. Make sure to not add to much or you will get a soggy cake.
- Whip the remaining cream with sugar.
- Spread the cream over the cake.
- Cool overnight in the refrigerator.